Returning to Maya, I have once again followed Alan's tutorial but gone wrong somewhere in the pipelines. In the UV mesh, the corners are distorted and warped - I think this may be due to the wrong selection of the edges. I couldn't figure out how to fix this, so I decided to once again, start again.
It wasn't difficult to restart as the process is pretty straight forward. I sorted the UV mapping and carefully selected the edges this time. This snapshot is before rendering, and I feel accomplished that I came back from a small knock back.
At last! A great render. I enjoyed going into Photoshop and applying the colours and texts; I didn't think that it would be able to be applied back in Maya. This was an enjoyable task to do in the end, and I'm becoming more and more comfortable with Maya.